Monday, January 1, 2018

Follow Me

Big adventure on New Year's Eve? Nope. Just another day.

I drove Pepper up the road on Friday. Its a steep climb. When she is in shape to get up the first mile. then it levels off and we can go for miles without steep and long hills. It's that first mile. She seemed funky. One front foot was stubbornly planted and would not be cleaned. Very odd. The other front seemed fine.

She was a little bucky in the round pen, but not unusually so, for her. All in character.

Putting to, she turned her butt away from the shafts two times, then stayed where I put her and I got the cart hooked. Not quite normal for her. She likes to be turned to a little disadvantage when I bring the cart out of the barn, but she stands well. The drive was about 20 minutes.

Nothing really notable, except, I have had this pony for 4 years and SHE ALWAYS HAS A REASON FOR WHAT SHE DOES. She's smart enough to make your average horse look like Forest Gump.

Saturday I took her into the roundpen and just let her not work. I scratched her and palpated for soreness, massaged and hung out. She didn't role. Unusual.

Yesterday I went to fetch her and she wouldn't come when I called. It took a while before she would come to me and follow me to the door without her halter. I decided that this would be the goal of my session. She didn't know it. When she followed me, I haltered her and took her out, tied her and fed her many treats. I almost never feed treats, but this seemed to be the time. Then I put her away.

That was all. She did what I wanted that she didn't want to do. I made it a positive experience. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment