Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Today's Programming Will Be Interrupted by a Puncture Wound.

I was going to write more about the Yndi puzzle today, but I returned home from town yesterday to a huge swelling in Pepper's armpit. Hot and soft on the surface, hard underneath. A wound about 1cm, the right size for a rattlesnake bite but not distinct fangs, more of a cut with a serous scab. She didn't care when I poked it. Applied Vetericin.
Good morning from Pepper.

This morning I went down to check it, not as hot, more swollen, softer. She didn't care when I felt it, she is not lame. Applied Vetericin.

Looked up, Bob the Barn kitten is on the trailer wheelwell drinking my coffee. Bob flees as I approach, I throw throw the coffee onto the ground and put the cup back on the trailer. Five minutes later, I look again: Bob and Lydia Dog are licking spilled coffee off of the dirt.

I will get a photo of the edema next time I go out. Should have taken a camera with me, but my hands were full of coffee cup and egg quesadilla. My priorities need adjusting.
behind her elbow, where the girth goes.

So, I was afraid of snakebite and being in denial, also worried about a puncture wound because of infection and Pepper, my chronic hindgut ulcer pony does not do well with antibiotics.

Dave went back down to the pony place with me, we walked around in the meadow and found the culprit. An old abandoned horseshoe pit. We removed the stake that had been hidden in the grass. Pepper apparently rolled onto it as she rolled from her right side to her left side. It isn't a puncture wound, its a minor abrasion on the surface and a major hematoma underneath.

Small surface wound.
Arnica.

Its under her girth, so no driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment